Following an awkward and frankly embarrassing stumble at the GOP debate in Michigan, Rick Perry made things all better by poking fun at himself on David Letterman. Actually, if this was 2000 and Perry was running against George W. Bush and John McCain, this wouldn’t have been that bad a move. On the other hand, even George W. Bush did well enough at the debates that whackos on the left thought he had a transceiver hidden between his shoulderblades.
Going on latenight television is not unheard of at all for candidates. But for GOP’ers it usually doesn’t fare as well as for Democrats. Letterman is pretty notorious for a left leaning slant. Perry’s delivery was also reminiscent of his debate delivery. So will his Letterman appearance make everything ok? Or was this Perry’s falling off the stage moment? My guess is the later. But here they are, Perry’s top ten excuses for forgetting something like what departments he would eliminate as President:
10. “Actually there were three reasons I messed up last night. One was the nerves, two was the headache and three was, and three, uh, uh. Oops.”
9. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I think things went well.”
8. “Hey, I was up late last night watching ‘Dancing With the Stars.'”
7. “I thought the debate was tonight.”
5. “Uh, el nino?”
4. “I had a five-hour energy drink six hours before the debate.”
3. “I really hoped to get on my favorite talk show, but instead I ended up here.”
1. “I just learned Justin Bieber is my father.”
Well, don’t forget Mr. Perry: Republicans don’t want the candidate who can make them laugh. They want the candidate who can beat Obama.
Filed under: Rick Perry, Strategy Tagged: | bieber, Bush, bush kerry debate, cbs, CNBC, comedy, david letterman, George W. Bush, Justin Bieber, latenight, letterman, perry, Rick Perry, rick perry on david letterman, Texas, texas governor, the tonight show, top ten, transceiver, W