New analysis gives Romney a 53% chance to win while President Obama finds himself with a 44% chance to win. Meanwhile the newest analysis also shows that Ohio is do or die for the President while Wisconsin becomes a possible make or break state for Mitt Romney
White House 2012’s newest analysis of data, polls, trends, and circumstances, nationally and on the ground in individual states, continues to project Mitt Romney the winner of the presidential election. While the closeness of the race in several states continues to make it impossible to say with absolute certainty that Romney will win the Electoral College vote, White House 2012’s analysis does currently project that at the very least, Romney will receive 285 electoral votes. That is 15 more electors than he needs to defeat President Barack Obama who according to White House 2012’s prediction will walk away from Election Day with 253 electoral votes.
The states that are too close for comfort and continue to be responsible for the uncertainty of the results in the Electoral College are, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
Of these states, White House 2012 is currently projecting New Hampshire, Ohio, and Iowa to go to Mitt Romney, with President Obama taking Nevada and Wisconsin. All other states are solidly behind one or the other candidate. But the most dramatic conclusion gleamed from the information found in the analysis used to make this recent projection, is that if you consider Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, and Wisconsin to be tossups, President Obama is left with 237 electoral votes and Romney holds 257 electoral votes. This means that from among the remaining 5 tossup states the President has only three possible paths to victory. Romney on the other hand has 5 possible paths to victory.
Making matters worse for the President is that this latest WH12 analysis sees a sharp turning of the tables on him. Up till now, the narrative had been that Mitt Romney can’t win without Ohio. This newest analysis shows just the opposite.
For President Obama, while he has three paths to victory… two less than Romney, each of one them requires that to win the election, the President must win Ohio.
For Mitt Romney, of the five routes to victory available to him, only one of them requires that he wins Ohio, and as seen in the graphic below, that path is the one which he needs only if he losses each of the other remaining tossup states.
Ultimately this means that the odds are now clearly in favor of Mitt Romney winning the election, hence the current White House 2012 electoral projection. Based upon the winning combinations available to Obama and Romney, the President has a 44% chance of winning and Mitt Romney has a 53% chance of winning. With less than two weeks to go before the election is held, this 9% upper hand held by Mitt Romney puts the Governor in a far better position than the President. That is especially true given the fact that the momentum continues to be behind the Romney-Ryan ticket, not the Obama-Biden ticket.
Ohio Is Do or Die for the President
White House 2012 adds 2.2% to Mitt Romney’s final total in the Real Clear Politics average of polls. This is a figure intended to compensate for the use of 2008 turnout models that are being used in establishing current poll results. WH12’s formulas believes these models are under-counting Republican turnout by as much as 2.2%, hence the 2.2% added to Romney’s numbers that are ultimately figured in to White House 2012’s analysis. Currently in Ohio, the Real Clear Politics average has President Obama ahead of Mitt Romney by 2.1%. According to the WH12 formula, that means Romney is a head by a mere .01%, far too close for comfort for either candidate. But the good news for Romney here is that the WH12 analyses now finds that whereas Ohio was once considered a must win for Romney, it is now just the opposite. President Obama is the one who now can’t win reelection without Ohio.
Wisconsin could be make or break for Romney
While Romney now can easily win the White House without Ohio, if he doesn’t take Ohio, Wisconsin becomes the state he really needs to ensure victory. Of the 5 paths to victory available to Mitt Romney, 3 include winning Wisconsin. Only two of the available paths do not require Badger State victory. So while the best way to ensure Romney of winning the election is by taking Ohio, if he can pull that off, a win in Wisconsin and either Iowa, New Hampshire, or Colorado will be enough to put Romney over the top. If Ohio is not in the picture for Romney without Wisconsin, Romney must run the table on Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada and win all three of them.
That is possible but it points to the fact that strategically, Mitt Romney should really drop Paul Ryan in Wisconsin and have him campaign in every town, of every county in the state and use his favorite son status to deliver Wisconsin and provide the cushion the Romney-Ryan tickets needs in the Electoral College.
3% Chance of a tie in the Electoral College
Having Iowa, Ohio, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Wisconsin as tossup states leaves us with numeric equations that provides a 3% chance of their being a tie in the Electoral College
If this Electoral College result were to come to fruition, although there is truly no guarantee, Mitt Romney would most likely win the election in the House of Representatives where according to the constitution, in the case of a tie in the Electoral College, the election for President would ultimately go. The House is largely expected to remain controlled by a majority of Republicans . However, the election for Vice President is held in the Senate where Democrats are control. At the moment, there is a good chance that Republicans can win at least a one seat majority in the Senate. If that is so, a republican controlled Senate will elect Paul Ryan Vice President. If Republicans fail to take control of the Senate, it is not likely but quite possible that Democrats will elect Joe Biden Vice President.
Potential for a Romney Landslide
While WH12’s currently projects Romney to win 285 electoral votes, with the closenes of the race in the five tossups states spoken about in the analusis and the momentum that is behind Romney, White House 2012 is looking at the potential for Romney to pull off a landslide win in the Electoral College that will rival the size of Bill Clinton’s lopsided total in the 1992 election. In that matchup, Clinton won 370 electoral votes to Bush’s 168. At the moment, WH12 to sees evidence that Romney may be on his way to a final 302 electoral votes to the President’s 236.
That includes a split in Maine’s electoral vote where some polls show Romney winning the 2nd Congressional District. In Maine, Elecotrs are awarded by congressional districts, not on a statewide basis.
Furthermore; Wh12 sees the putside chance for Michigan to go to Romney. That would bring his total Electoral College count to 318.
Filed under: Electoral College Maps | Tagged: 3% chance of a tie in the electoral college, 44% chance for Barack Obama to win, 53% chance for Romney to win, election prediction, election predictions, Electoral College, electoral college maps, electoral college predictions, kempite, Mitt Romney will win the election, Obama can't win without Ohio, Obama must win Ohio, Romney must win Wisconsin, Romney will win the electoral college, Romney winning in the elecoral college, what happens if there is a tie in the electoral college, White House 2012, Wii there by a tie in the electoral college, wordpress political blogs |